New applications open in December 2021
The Iolanthe Student Awards help pre-registration midwifery students with the costs of attending study days, taking up elective placements or for projects to improve local services. Awards are also available for midwives who are returning to practice to help cover the costs involved.
About the Iolanthe Student Awards
- Awarded annually
- Worth up to £1000
- For pre-registration midwifery students
- Also open to Return to Practice midwives
- Black and Brown student midwives can apply for a Dora Opoku Student Award at the same time
Is your project eligible?
Due to the global Covid-19 pandemic, this award is limited in 2021 to
- Elective placements within the UK
- Courses to gain skills or knowledge.
- Travel and attendance at study days or conferences in the UK.
- Small research project or to ideas to improve local maternity services.
- Return to Practice applicants need to have been accepted on an NMC approved RtP course and who have the support of an NHS Trust or Board for practice hours.
Please note we will not be funding overseas placements in 2021.
See What do we fund? for more information
Rhian Ward was awarded a student award to host a 'Biomechanics for Birth' course for student midwives at the University of Plymouth.
Joyce Fogg, a student at the University of the West of Scotland will be attending a Hypnobirthing Teacher Training Course.
Elisabeth Schwalbe is using her award to help fund her Return to Midwifery Practice, studying at the University of Central Lancashire.
Rebecca Murdoch, a student at the University of the West of Scotland received a student award to help fund her phenomenological study into the psychological impact of ankyloglossia on the breastfeeding journey.
Megan Smith from the University of the West Scotland will use her funds to attend a Yoga for Pregnancy teacher training course.
Naomi Thistlethwaite from the University of the West of Scotland to attend a Hypnobirthing Teacher Training Course
Mireia Manzano, a student at London South Bank University, will attend a Perineal Suturing and Perineal Care Workshop.