Back to top

Financial hardship

Student finance 

Check what you can access in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. You can also read about extra support if you are disabled, have dependants, or are repeating a study year. 

See also the Which? Finance guides for students in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Look into NHS: Financial Support at University. Healthcare courses may be eligible for an NHS bursary and/or a  student loan.

Propel offers support for students leaving the Care system

Postgraduate Study


England: Masters and Doctorate students

Scotland: Masters and Doctorate students

Wales: Masters and Doctorate students

Northern Ireland: Masters and Doctorate students


Studentships are postgraduate positions that have funding attached for fees, living expenses or both. They’re mainly funded by UK Research and Innovation.

Charities and trusts:

Charities and trusts sometimes provide grants, often for students from poorer backgrounds or those who’ve achieved academic excellence. Find out more at your local library in these publications:

  • the Educational Grants Directory
  • the Charities Digest
  • the Grants Register
  • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

You can also use the Family Action grant search.

Learned societies:

Societies sometimes offer funding for postgraduate or postdoctoral research. They include:

Other help:

You might be able to get funding from:

Help at University

Your University will offer a range of support through its Student Welfare Office and Housing Support Services. Your personal tutor will also be able to listen to your concerns and direct you to appropriate resources. Your University will also have its own Student Union which will offer online/face-to-face support with whatever issues you face, from finance to housing to study to anything affecting your physical/emotional well being. See also...

NUS: National Union of Students 

Save the Student

Government help

Universal Credit is for those on a low income, those who are parents, those who have disabilities, those who are carers. 

Are you eligible for help with NHS prescriptions and health costs?

Organisations that can assist

Benefits Calculators are anonymous and give you an idea about what you may be due in terms of income-related benefits, tax credits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, and Universal Credit. They also indicate how your benefits will be affected if you start work or change your working hours

NHS England have teamed up with the Money Helper Service to provide a free and impartial telephone helpline and What's App contact

Citizens' Advice Bureau offers help with debt

Shelter offers housing advice, including emergency help

StepChange offers free debt advice and support

Gingerbread gives support and advice to single parent families

Cavell Nurses Trust helps midwives, both working and retired, when they are suffering personal or financial hardship

Royal College of Midwives have some financial support available for their members, as well as resources to protect your physical and mental wellbeing, and dedicated pages for student midwives

Royal College of Nursing offer similar resources pages for their members

NHS Credit Union offers loans to members in Scotland or the north of England

Reducing your costs

MoneySavingExpert Martin Lewis offers all sorts of tips and tricks to lower your costs, including via an email newsletter you can sign up to, and his BBC podcast series