The Dora Opoku Student Award - Funding for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic student midwives
APPLICATIONS OPEN IN DECEMBER 2019
The Iolanthe Midwifery Trust recognises that Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) midwives have an enormous range and depth of skills, wisdom and talent which is not being fully supported within UK health care. We are committed to supporting a wide range of midwives and wish to encourage a more inclusive cohort of applicants.
As part of our developing diversity and inclusion policy we recognise that we do not have many ethnically diverse applicants for our awards and wish to take a step towards redressing the balance. We are therefore pleased to announce the inaugural Iolanthe BAME Student Award, which is being offered to BAME midwifery students for the first time in 2019. Applicants for this award will also automatically be considered for an Iolanthe Student Award, so as to maximise their chances of being granted an award.
We are delighted that the award is to be named the Dora Opoku Student Award, after an inspirational midwife who was appointed an OBE for her services to midwifery education. Find out more about Dora Opoku
Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic pre-registration midwifery students are invited to apply for an Iolanthe BAME Student Award for financial support for attendance at study days, for projects to improve local services, or to undertake elective visits.
About the Dora Opoku Student Award
- Awarded for the first time in 2019
- Worth up to £1,000
- For BAME pre-registration midwifery students on a UK course
- Applications for the Dora Opoku Student Award are also automatically considered for an Iolanthe Student Award
Is your project eligible?
- Elective placements within the UK
- Courses to gain skills or knowledge.
- Travel and attendance at study days or conferences in the UK or abroad.
- Small research project or to ideas to improve local maternity services.
- Elective placements overseas
Trisania Bailey, studying at the University of Southampton, who is undertaking a midwifery elective placement in Ghana.